Friday 18 July 2008

Day 3

Managed to do some writing of my own this morning - there's nothing like a break from childcare and the admixture of art and drink to get the synapses open!

Talking to writers in the Druid orbit it becomes clear that no organisation such as Script exists in Ireland. I had imagined that I would be leading a workshop or two here, but I think my sessions next week with the local writers will be concerned with much more basic questions such as:
How do I get my play in front of an audience? What kind of career structure is there for playwrights in Britain?

An extraordinary night at the circus last night. Circa's BY THE LIGHT OF THE STARS WHICH ARE NO LONGER had me mesmerised - a synaesthesia of acrobatic skill, hypnotic lighting and beguiling music. Not so impressed, however, were some of my companions, who felt - in common with some twitchy 8 year olds in my vicinity - that this wasn't really what had been promised on the can ie it wasn't a jolly circus with tricks and clowns, but something much closer to contemporary dance (and not proper dance either, sniffed another).
Maybe I don't get out enough, but I loved it.

A long walk home through Galway's club district last night - a bit of a saturnalia, but without the thuggish edge that wo uld accompany such scenes everywhere in England from Gateshead to Cheltenham.

The river here is the fastest-flowing I have ever seen. Mesmeric too, in its own way, a raging torrent which is, frankly, terrifying. Many of the bridges are fitted with anti-jump balustrades. A good thing too, in my view.

No comments: